Johnson Service Company forms Belgian subsidiary
October 5, 1964 (PD: 201310)
On October 5, 1964, it was announced that a subsidiary of the Johnson Service Company (Johnson Controls’ former name) had been formed in Belgium.
The company, known as Johnson Control Belgique, S. A., would be a subsidiary of Johnson’s Swiss affiliate, Johnson Control S. A. of Geneva, Switzerland.
The Belgian organization, based in Auderghem (a suburb of Brussels), was Johnson’s fourth wholly-owned European branch created in as many years; the first two were formed in 1960 in London and Paris. Geneva followed two years later, in 1962. In addition, a manufacturing plant in Lomagna, Italy had been in operation since the previous year.
Johnson’s push into Europe was part of a larger company plan to expand into international markets. In the late 1950’s, company management saw growth potential overseas, as expanding economies and rising living standards spurred increased construction activity.
Today, Johnson Controls has over 1,400 employees in Belgium at more than twenty facilities, which are just a small part of the company’s worldwide workforce of 168,000 serving customers in 125 countries.
Johnson Service Company’s 1964 annual report reflects the Company’s interest in expanding its operations into foreign markets.